Please register or login to continue

Register Login

WHEN NATURE CALLS, LITERALLY
WHEN NATURE CALLS, LITERALLY

WHEN NATURE CALLS, LITERALLY

JamesSpragJamesSprag
1 Review

I have many funny short stories about travel, though one of my favorites to tell happened in the Serengeti.

Now, there are a lot of really awesome things about camping in the Serengeti:

It’s a relatively affordable way to go on safari. You meet other adventurous people. You’re camping in the freaking Serengeti! Like, hello, how cool?!

However, there may be one or two less-than-stellar things about this type of safari…like not knowing what’s outside your tent during the night.

Personally, I didn’t really want to come face-to-face with the hyenas — or anything else — that I knew could be out there. My method of avoidance came down to not drinking too much water during the day. Other than the bathroom, nothing could draw me out of my tent at night.

Well, one day I was thirsty and had more to drink than I should have.

The result?

You guessed it — I needed to pee pretty bad by about 3 am.

Let me take you back a few hours though, to the afternoon. We were making camp that night at a spot that was to be shared with some of the park rangers. Earlier in the day, the rangers had brought a goat to camp. I thought they were taking this goat further on their journey and I didn’t think about it past that.

Well, guess what the rangers had for dinner?

Goat.

That night, from the safety of the tent, we could hear the hyenas munching away on the leftovers. It was gruesome.

It also meant that I absolutely knew the hyenas were in the camp, right between me and the bathroom. Well, by 3 am, I was desperate and cared less about the hyenas than about my bladder.

However, we’d been strongly warned not to go out by ourselves. So, I asked my friend if she wanted to go on an adventure. She said no and advised I go back to sleep.

I tried; I really did. An hour later, I asked her again, “Isa, want to go on an adventure?”

Her answer hadn’t changed.

Just behind our tent were the dining cabin and a small hill. I was desperate. Really, my bladder was going to explode. I went just behind the tent, right up to that hill, and did my thing.

After, I went back into the tent and didn’t stray anywhere close to where the campfire had been, and the hyenas currently were. I was safe! I didn’t get eaten or attacked by anything.

The next morning we were packing up our stuff to go on that day’s safari when our guide casually asked if we had heard the lions the night before.

Nope, we hadn’t heard them. Apparently, they’d been close.

Their lair?

Just on the other side of the small hill behind the camp.

This one definitely goes on my list of crazy yet funny adventure stories!

Author Notes: I am a writer by profession. It can also be a great hobby. I often combine my work and hobbies. That is, I travel, and I write about travel. The best place I've been is to Hawaii. I have fallen in love with Hawaii since I started working in a real estate service in Hawaii https://hawaiitrustedrealty.com/. Thanks to this work, I have visited Hawaii many times and learned a lot about these places.

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
JamesSprag
JamesSprag
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
17 Sep, 2021
Genre
Type
Words
481
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
4.0 (1 review)
Views
1,971

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.