Please register or login to continue

Register Login

A Woman's Web (Part 1)
A Woman's Web (Part 1)

A Woman's Web (Part 1)

KLM775KLM775

Erik Grestal was sitting in the back of history class as Prof. Hendricks went on about the sailing record of the Spanish Armada. In Erik’s mind he was waiting to leave and meet up with a girl he had met only three days ago, Toni, a girl he had met in a culinary class. The best quality about her was easily her hazel eyes. Their only exchange just two days before, were just quick hellos before and after class between them. He looked at the clock at the front of the room. He was relieved when the class got in its most organized rhythm since the beginning of the semester. He grabbed his notebook and backpack a little slower than everyone else, and no abrupt evacuation techniques that were on par for busy people in college would make him. As he was walking out the north end doorway of Myers hall, and felt a jingle in his pocket. He summoned his phone and saw a text that read:

I just saw Toni she is talking with Prof. Dillion on the south side of the Myers hall.

It was from Mason—a friend, a master wing-man that was in chemistry with Toni. He was thirty and was very friendly to everyone he met but, the case of having a friendship as neighbors with Erik, it was hardly ever in question how well they worked together as intelligence officers in the Army. Both were very resourceful in knowing who and what was around them. The dimensions of their environment changed but not their friendship. It’s very much like the quote from Felix Adler, Erik thought. The hero who brings light into the world for others and the saint who is the light himself, the quote itself Erik didn’t remember as well as the idea behind it. Erik was thinking about the discussion from his English class yesterday. He walked to the end of the hall that connected to a classroom courtyard and saw that there was a small event going on. He was sure that it was the hiring event that was going on before the end of the semester. He decided to pass up the chance to talk to one of his former superiors Sgt. Clines, instead Erik just waved and did quick salute. As he went through to Myers Hall he was passed by Toni and her friend almost unnoticed.

“Hey, Erik can I talk for a second?” She stopped short when she realized Erik hadn’t turned around. Then finally he did.

“Okay, what about?” Erik said nervously.

“Its about next week when you get your interview at Intek. Just don’t tell ‘em everything about what you saw.”

“You mean about you and the mystery man.”

“Yes. I want you to keep it a mystery.”

“I’ll try but I really don’t think they’ll hook me up to a lie detector.”

“No… but they’ll keep a transcript of everything you say”.

“Alright, alright, no problem.” Erik smiled and Toni smiled back, “See ya later alright Toni.”

Toni nodded back and preceded along with her friends. Intek was a new specialized tech company that was in the market of bringing in new services to the school, which brought better funding for the school because its own security and surveillance systems we’re brought through the internships that were handed out to students to work at Intek and was how the school got involved. In the army there was no chances given to people who didn’t deserve it. Erik didn’t have a choice not to go for broke and get this internship. If he did decide to get it that would mean anything that took too much of his time was automatically withdrawn from existence as far as the girl he liked was concerned.

The rest of the day Erik had to himself to prepare for the interview. It really didn’t seem weird to him to have a lie detector test done to him as apart of his evaluation. “It’s something we do for every candidate. I am sure you understand as it was standard procedure in your army evals during extensive service”, Said Erik’s interviewer.

“Well, sir it was done when you worked extensively with certain groups. I’d have to be sure to stick to my own story as well as my teams story,” He returned.

“Oh, of course, Erik. That goes without saying and that’s the sole reason I wanted to bring you in today.”

“I’m sorry but, why exactly did you want me to be hooked up to lie detector?”

“Mr. Grestal, I think you know the history of an interactions such as these. You must give your full commitment to me for the benefit of yourself and hopefully the team you will be working with.” This time the interviewer allowed for some silence to awkwardly settle between them.

“I know how it goes but, I cannot be responsible for what future events are caught on your radar that involve me and you and Toni”, Erik said.

“Well, I will give you full reign in the investigation if you agree to do this”, said the evaluator. The abrasiveness in his voice was not indicative of understanding, but Erik took it as an invitation to do what he does best. Erik sat back in his chair and sunk into his thoughts. Why would it have to be me that has to stumble through this all without any kind of guidelines. The offer was a huge deal and a lot of responsibility to boot, but it was probably the only offer he would get that would help his mothers election campaign to get him on the board of trustees within Intek. As ambitious as it was, day by day the window was closing in on them both . So, Erik had no choice but, to continue on with the lie detector test at the expense of his own rights to reject it. And to lie even more in the future wouldn’t bode well for him either.

“So what have you been up to at Intek?” She said. I was sitting in my car and trying to keep a low profile, probably overly so. Within a week it becomes more about the election than her trying to help me get this internship.

“My dream of being an tech developer was along time ago.” I hunched toward the steering wheel.

“You will be among the cutting edge. A God of the future of the future. Worthy of a cult like following.” She knew that power was infectious it was what gave her authority.

“Okay Mom. I gotta run to class and then after that the interview.”

As Erik hung up he tossed his phone into his pocket and grabbed the door handle and went from the complete silence of one world to the complete indifference and summer vibes of another world. He wishes he could once again enjoy the simplicity of life but, no one can in this age of bastardized technology. Why don’t they see it.

Even now Erik had to use his tactical wit and the blinders were on.

Author Notes: This the first part of a multi part series.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
KLM775
KLM775
About This Story
Audience
15+
Posted
31 Mar, 2020
Words
1,185
Read Time
5 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
499

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.