Please register or login to continue

Register Login

3 A.M.

3 A.M.

By Storm

"Max, shut up and lay down. I'm trying to sleep," I shouted at my dog who was barking at something outside. He whined but returned to his bed in the corner of the room where the heater was. It was mid-winter and my house even with the insulation couldn't keep out the cold. I rolled over to look at my alarm clock hoping it wasn't too late. It showed the numbers 2:00 in bright red. I sighed frustrated with myself that I couldn't fall asleep. Max hopped up on my bed in an attempt to keep warm but groaned as if he still wasn't satisfied. "Yeah, I know buddy winter sucks," I said rubbing him behind the ears. Max was the corgi that I've had for only a couple of years. I've had him since he was a pup and never had a problem raising him. Sure he chewed on stuff and peed everywhere but all dogs do it so I never got mad at him for it. Unlike my ex. She constantly complained about Max whenever he did something she did not approve of. She was a cat person so maybe that's why but, still, I loved her cat, Rusty. Plus, Max got along well with him but I had to break it off. I know that she lives down the road and sometimes during the morning I get a visit from Rusty. A tapping noise came from my window which made me snap out of my thoughts and caused Max to start barking again. As I got out of bed and made my way to the window I noticed that there were little paw prints on the window. "Hmm come on Max just ignore it." I shrugged as I returned to bed. That's when I heard a noise come from downstairs. Not thinking I went down to check out what made that noise with Max not far behind. I noticed little white paw prints that led into the kitchen and came from the back door. I had it installed so Max could go outside and do his business whenever he wanted without waking me up at night. The sound of a ringing bell came from my kitchen making me jump. Max was growling for a while before his growl turned into yapping. He gave a joyful bark before diving into the dark which after a moment a loud meow followed. "Rusty?" I fumbled for the light switch. As the darkness evaporated a bright white light replaced it allowing me to see the ginger fur of a cat laying under Max. "Rusty what are you doing here. You should be home furball," I picked him up and patted him on the head. I looked over at the clock on the stove and it showed the time was 3 a.m. "Ah, I see. I'm used to seeing you outside buddy must be too cold for you tonight huh? Come on, you can sleep with me and Max tonight. I'm sure Becky wouldn't mind."

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Storm
Storm
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
22 May, 2020
Words
502
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
443

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.