Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Accepting the Jungle

Accepting the Jungle

By KilalaKitty - 3 Reviews

“So what’s the big issue here?”

“I can’t talk to her!”

“Is she a mutant?”

“No! And stop making fun of me this is serious!”

This is the conversation that I am having with my ten year old brother. I am desperately trying not to laugh in his face, however I am beginning to give into the fit of giggles that escape my lips.

Brett’s frown deepens and his face starts to turn even redder with embarrassment.

“Ryley, this is serious! All my friends have asked the girls in the class to the Valentine’s Day dance at school and I haven’t gotten to ask anyone.” His head begins to hang as a sigh escapes his lips.

Who would have thought that an elementary school dance would try to make men out of boys so quickly? I stared at my little brother with amazement and a little bit of compassion. He was no longer the little twerp that I relentlessly teased so much. He was slowly growing to like girls now. Who would have known? I remember when he was still playing with Legos and eating dirt.

The object of his affection was a fellow classmate named Delilah Spence. A pretty girl with curly red hair, freckles, and twinkly green eyes. I could see why he was smitten.

It was the day before the dance and it was now or never. I had been dealing with this dilemma for days now and finally managed to get my suddenly awkward brother in a set of khakis and a nice blue shirt and ushered him to the park where we both knew lovely Delilah would be as she was there every day after school.

“Go ask her now, Brett. She’s standing all by herself. Now go!” I hissed, and shoved him from the bushes where we had been hiding while coming up with a game plan as to what he would say and do.

Brett stumbled out of the shade of the bushes we had been lurking in and walked forward.

I peeked through and listened as he walked slowly out to Delilah standing past the monkey bars. I watched him sigh then puff out his chest and walk to her.

“Hi Delilah.”

“Hello, Brett. How are you?”

“Umm, I’m fine. Listen there was something I wanted to ask you.”

“Yes? What is it?”

“Well…you see there’s the dance tomorrow and I don’t have anyone to do go with and I was wondering if you would like to go with me.”

Delilah straightened a little and turned toward my brother. Her green eyes crinkled as she smiled.

“Okay, I’ll go with you!”

Brett’s shoulders slumped with relief and he smiled and thanked her. Then he ran back over to me in the bushes and jumped on me nearly blowing my cover.

“She said yes!” he squealed.

I felt proud as his sister then. My brother was all grown up now. Brett Sylver, welcome to the jungle…

Recommend Reviews (3) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
KilalaKitty
KilalaKitty
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
7 Jan, 2017
Words
505
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
4.0 (3 reviews)
Views
3,501

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.