Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Badlands: Mike Howe Music Legacy
Badlands: Mike Howe Music Legacy

Badlands: Mike Howe Music Legacy

AaronTheRockerAaronTheRocker

Mike Howe, singer and songwriter, originally started in Detroit with the band Hellion, later renamed to Snair when they headed out to L.A, California in the early 80s. After failed attempts to progress in the music scene, Howe disbanded from Snair and moved on to join a fresh metal band, Heretic in 1986.

Heretic formed in 1985 with vocalist Jullian Mendez. After one album production Mendez left, being replaced by Howe. So in the late summer of 1986 Heretic signed a deal with Metal Blade Records to release a full-album called Breaking Point. The album received praise for change in vocal dynamics. Howe having a “growl and kicking-ass” to his voice found it to be natural for the thrash power metal band to have.

Soon Mike Howe would leave though in 1988 after Heretic disbanded, but that wasn’t the end for them yet. Heretic was placed on a compilation video album Crash and Burn which featured other acts such as Sacred Reich, Fates Warning and Hallows Eve. Before that release though Howe was already asked to join Metal Church to replace the original and Metal Church creator, David Wayne who left to form another band.

Replacing the voice of Metal Church would be tough being that David Wayne is the voice of the band, but sure enough the crowds loved him.

Metal Church released Blessing In Disguise in 1989, the first full album with Howe. Receiving fame for its change in lyrical themes to serious topics such as poverty and politics Blessing In Disguise reached #75 of the Billboard 200 along with the band creating their second ever music video for the song, Badlands.
Metal Church now toured with Mike Howe for the first time across North America with acts Accept, W.A.S.P, Anthrax, Saxon and Queensryche.

There are now two voices of Metal Church.

Couple of years later, 1991, the band would then release The Human Factor which garnered the same level of respect as their previous album and would produce two more music videos from their hits, In Harm's Way, and Date With Poverty.
One song on the album stood out in particular with Howe’s take on lyrical messaging. The composition In Mourning was in relation to the 1990 trial of Judas Priest and James Vance- a case about music and “devilry” work which is said to be by the mother of James and members of those against the Rock and Metal music industry to be the cause of James’ suicide.

Again, Metal Church toured across North America with other big acts and various styles including Metallica, Riot, Vicious Rumors and Alice Cooper for two years until signing yet another record deal this time with Rising Sun Productions creating Hanging In The Balance. But what was not known at the time would be the last album for Mike Howe in Metal Church.

Howe had a family and in 1997, he departed from Metal Church which prompted the band to dissolve until returning with original vocalist David Wayne in 2003. So after his music career went to a halt he worked in carpentry supporting his family in Tennessee.

Fast forward 19 years, in 2015 Mike Howe was asked to rejoin Metal Church and he gladly accepted. And on his return he performed in the Monsters of Rock Cruise.

Howe would then release two more studio albums with Metal Church. In 2016, XI and in 2018, Damned If I Do. And with that, he stuck with the band doing tours across North America and Europe along with recording live concerts bringing his two grown sons to show them what he did before he had a family.

Sadly and unexpectedly, in the summer of 2021, July 26 there was a call of a “death” in Eureka, California at the residence of Mike Howe. Police showed up to the property to find inside the house Mike Howe dead at the age of 55. A result of suicide by hanging. As to what caused this happening no one is for sure, but his band, Metal Church said in blame “the true Fake Healer” (in reference of their song "Fake Healer" from Blessing In Disguise) as he took medication from “Big Pharma” that did nothing, but hurt.


Brought Onto Earth: August 21, 1965
Passage To Heaven: July 21, 2021


Awards, Recognitions, and Honors

Rat Pak Records released a 60 page book reviewing the years of Mike Howes music career

Tribute shirts sold commemorating the life of Mike Howe


Mike Howe Quote:
[interview with Loudwire] “To go back in the music industry while raising a family, in my mind, would be a selfish decision.”

Author Notes: Rest In Peace to a voice of metal and a family man.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
AaronTheRocker
AaronTheRocker
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
20 Apr, 2023
Words
749
Read Time
3 mins
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
664

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.