Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Doom Befallen (Part 12)
Doom Befallen (Part 12)

Doom Befallen (Part 12)

-Lynnyan-Lyn
1 Review

It was good to be back at school today. I couldn’t wait to tell the girls that I had had a boy over for dinner last night. They would be so jealous.

I walked purposely through the halls as kids turned to look at me. Their stares used to bother me when I was younger but now I knew they meant that I was the only thing worth paying attention to. Everything else just didn’t have the same pizazz I did.

As I walked toward my next class, the class the other girls were in with me, I thought about the weird things that had happened after dinner. Axel had left almost immediately.

Mom had clutched her head throughout the meal and I caught him glancing at her nervously. I even caught him glancing at me once. I gave him a smile, but he didn’t return it. I wanted to know why. So, after we were done and Axel offered to help clean up like the goody-goody he is, I took him aside and asked what was wrong. He kind of shrugged me off like it was nothing. When I pressed him further, he exploded. “Why do you care?” he had yelled. My dad leaned in from the kitchen when he heard that. Axel’s back was to him, though, so he didn’t notice. He just kept going. “It’s not like you can do anything about it. I’m leaving.” He sighed and his tone softened. “I’m sorry, but I just can’t do this any longer. Thanks for having me over. Tell your parents I said thanks, too.” Then he grabbed his coat and walked out the door. He went so fast I hadn’t had time to react.

I would’ve yelled if I knew he’d hear me. I would’ve screamed at him that it wasn’t my fault he was so weird. But I didn’t. Something inside me cracked when I saw that. Dad hugged me tightly for a while after that. And I blinked back tears the whole time. I was glad he stayed with me. I didn’t want to be left alone again.

I threw open the door to the class room and walked down the aisle toward my seat in the middle. The girls sat around my seat, giggling about something. I walk up to my table and put my bag down in front of the girls. Sophie and Amelia, who were sitting in front of my table, were turned around in their seats to talk to Lucy whom I shared the table with.

“You guys are never going to believe what happened yesterday.” I say, smirking at them. They looked up at me with expressions I had never seen before. Never before had I seen them directed at me, anyway.

“Um, Abigail?” Amelia says, drawing all our eyes to her. She had a way of doing that. Every time she spoke, people turned to listen. “The others told me about what you did a few days ago and we’ve decided that you aren’t our friend anymore.”

“W-what?” I ask, hearing my voice break. That’s when I see Rebecca. She sat in my seat at my table with my friends. “You can’t do this,” I whisper. “I-I-”

“We already made up our minds, Abby.” That was Lucy speaking, but I wasn’t listening. I was picking my bag off the table and glaring at the ground as I blinked harshly, willing my eyes to not go blurry.

At the back of the class sat the outcasts, the nobodies, the people I used to make fun of so often. I belong with them now, I told myself. They moved their bags to block the seats next to them when there was a spot open, and the ones that didn’t have a spot just smiled as they watched me walk in shame. I already knew where I was sitting, though. At the very back, in the corner of the room, I spotted him.

Axel sat, twiddling his thumbs. He glanced up and saw me. I watched as his eyes gave away his guilt for what had happened last night before he quickly turned and looked out the window. I didn’t care anymore. He was the only friend I had left. I was going to make him like me again.

I dropped my bag on the table beside him and he jumped in his seat. The teacher, Mr. Patrick, had just come in and I could feel him and the rest of the kids watching us as I sat down. I kept my gaze on Axel the whole time. Before Mr. Patrick could start the lesson, I start talking.

“I’m sorry about last night. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.” He glances at the class and back to me, a worried look on his face. I realize in time. “Sorry, We can talk later if you want.” I turn to face forward.

A moment passes before he says, “No, I want to talk now.”

I look over at him and smile. Then I look up at Mr. Patrick. He sighs, knowing I would complain to my mother if he didn’t let us talk.

“Five minutes,” Mr. Patrick grumbles. “The rest of you, start reading Chapter 2 in your textbook and take notes in your journal.”

I turn back to Axel. He looks at me, confusion written all over his face. “How-” he begins before I cut him off.

“I’ll explain later,” I tell him. “For now, though, start talking. What did I do wrong?”

Author Notes: Yeah okay whatever- I made it easy to guess POV this time. Don’t get used to it ;)
Thanks for reading!

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
-Lynnyan-
Lyn
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
5 Sep, 2021
Genre
Words
920
Read Time
4 mins
Rating
1.0 (1 review)
Views
558

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.