Please register or login to continue

Register Login

From the Shadows Chapter 3

From the Shadows Chapter 3

By Mr. Mills

From the Shadows Chapter 3:

“No. Why do you even bring that up? You know about tonight. Please don’t talk about the ring, I really just need some time to myself.” I said. I was still mourning over the loss of my parents. I don’t know Rick would want me in a ring in a time like this. Maybe he thought it’d cheer me up. I don’t know if I’m going to even go with that date with Rose tonight. Or maybe, she’s the perfect person to talk to.

“I understand. Let’s just go home.” Rick exclaimed. For the rest of the car ride he drove silently. He used to be good friends with my parents before they went to prison. They were top in the ring too. He tried to make it look like he was not crying, but I could still see it. I leaned against the window watching the road pass by me in a flash. Just like that, and my life was so much different. We had arrived home. I carried my dark red backpack so low that it was almost dragging on the ground. I flung the door open and swung my backpack on the ground. I went to my room to vent with myself for a little bit. I had gotten a call from Rose after about 15 minutes to myself. I had to answer.

“You checked out today. Are you okay Jack? I really care for you and I just want to know if you’re okay.” Rose started with.

“I’m fine. Just have some bad news raining in. I’m kind of depressed.” I said.

“I’m always here for you. If you want to talk about it I’m here. Don’t’ worry, I’ll only keep everything you say between us.” Said Rose.

“Look, if I told you what was going on with me, I don’t know if you’d love me anymore. I don’t know what to say.” I replied.

“It doesn’t matter what you say, I will never stop loving you.” Said Rose. I tensed. Tightening the grip on my phone. I inhaled before saying anything.

“I live with a father that’s actually not my father and I fight in an illegal facility. My real parents were in prison but now they’ve passed away.” I blurted out.

“What?! Stop kidding with me Jack.” Rose exclaimed.

“I’m not kidding with you! It’s really hard for me right now so it’d be helpful if you’d just take me seriously.” I said.

“I’m sorry for your loss. Do you still want me to come over tonight?” Rose asked. I took a few moments to think it over.

“I guess so. I need one night without chaotic fights and issues. If I just got Rick out of the house...” I started.

“Who is this Rick? You used to say he was your dad. Now that I know that’s not true your situation seems shady. I don’t know if I trust this guy.” Said Rose.

“Rose, be rational with me. Swear on your life that you won’t tell this to anyone. You promised to keep this between us.” I said.

“Anything for you. See you tonight, bye.” Rose said. I hung up on her. So many things were going through my head right now. I had had enough time to process, it’s time for me to start taking some action. Rick knocked on the door.

“I made you lunch today. If you’re feeling better, you can come out and eat it before it gets cold.” He said in a very calm and passive voice, which was unusual because usually he has a strong, bold voice that makes your ears bleed. Sometimes I’m surprised we don’t get caught with him around. I opened my door without saying anything. Rick watched me as I sat down at the table.

“So about that shooter at the school, why did he turn himself in? He was in the bigger leagues. Not just the ring, but like actually mugging people and stealing.” Rick exclaimed. The fact that he had turned himself in hadn’t settled in me quite right either. He was responsible for so many crimes’ but never got caught. He was giving himself away for a purpose. Perhaps for someone else. Rick had really prepared me something for lunch today. He usually never cooks. It was simple, but it was change. He had made me a grilled cheese and tomato soup.

“Rose is still coming then. If you want me to leave I will. I’ve made my decision; I’m headed into the ring to win the money myself.” Said Rick.

“Are you insane!? You haven’t been in there for years!” I exclaimed.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t have it in me anymore. I want it to be like the good old days. I just have to depend on someone not being there. Sorry Jack, I have a meeting with the big leagues I have to go.” Said Rick. I was so confused. Who was he depending on not to be there? What were the big leagues up too? I couldn’t do much but slurp from my spoon. The cheese stretched yellow and you could really feel the flavor of the grilled cheese. After I had finished eating I had begun washing my dishes. After I had finished I was off.

I went into the garage to get the bike. I was unaware of where the light green bike had come from but I assumed Rick stole it. I was going to go on a little ride throughout the city. It really still is quite busy in New York even when everyone’s in school and at work. There’s always tourists and such. I had only gone a few feet from the abandon but legally bought place I called home. I could hear two girls snickering behind me. They looked around 15 or 16. One of them had their black hair tied back in a black pony tail. She was decently tall. The other one had rather short dirty blonde hair wearing nothing much but a t-shirt.

“Um. Sir I need you to come over here.” The dirty blonde said holding in a giggle.

“I’m not falling for your pranks and your cons. Please leave me alone.” I said.

“We need you and your excuse for a bike over here. We have something to talk about.” Said the one with the black pony tail. I recognized these girls from school. They did nothing but make fun of me.

“Why aren’t you guys in school? Why are you laughing?” I asked.

“It’s kind of hard to not laugh when your around. Don’t mind the fact were not in school. Do us a favor though, dig your grave.” Said the dirty blonde. I ignored them and rode on. Those girls were really on thin ice with me.

I said I would meet the gang at HQ. HQ was at the skate park. School should get out soon. In about 10 minutes actually. I had to make it to the skate park without any more obstacles, it may sound easy but it’s almost an impossible thing to do in New York. The sun beat down on me and I was getting pretty hot. There was plenty other bikers and people walking the streets.

I had arrived at the skate park about 15 minutes later. Not because it was really far away but because of how much traffic there was around me.

“Out of all of us you took longest to get here. We won’t be here too long; we know you’ve got a date with Rose.” Kai said.

“You don’t have to say that out loud.” I said backing down a little.

“Don’t be embarrassed. In fact, I’ll congratulate you on that Jack.” Kai said.

“Why’d you call the whole gang here Kai? What’s up?” Asked one of Kai’s friends but not necessarily my friend Johnny the red head.

“One of us is hiding something from the red of us. I don’t want to name names but, Jack spill the beans.” Said Kai. Kai smirked. Johnny and his other friend Theo joined in on the devious grins.

“What are you talking about? I’m not hiding anything.” I said nervously.” I said.

“You made a promise when you joined this gang. We don’t keep secrets from each other. If you really have nothing to hide, then great. But if you do, then we’ll have a special surprise pain party for you.” Theo the big strong bold one of the gang said still smirking with an intense tone in his voice.

“If I have to attend that party I will. Let’s stay reasonable.” I said.

“Let’s not intrude on Jack too much guys. Were a gang and we should respect each other. You did make a promise Jack, so no secrets.” Johnny exclaimed. He made me think they were going to stop for a second. I still had my blade, and honestly I really wanted to pull it on them before anything else happened. I resisted the temptation.

“Fine you don’t have to tell us now. We’re playing follow the leader in the skate park. Just try to keep up with me.” Kai said strapping on his helmet. He began riding in the divot of the skate park decently fast. He was followed by Theo.

Theo was followed by Johnny and Johnny was followed by me. We pulled off quite a few 360’s at the park. We had been at the skate park for about an hour. It was a few minutes before 5:00pm. I decided to get home and be ready for Rose.

Hopefully and all I could do was hope, that this date went well. She really needs to get a good impression of who I am. And now that she was in my secret, there was nothing left standing in between us.

Author Notes: Enjoy:)

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
123450
Mr. Mills
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
1 Oct, 2019
Words
1,638
Read Time
8 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
651

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.