Please register or login to continue

Register Login

How Did We Get Here?
How Did We Get Here?

How Did We Get Here?

-Lynnyan-Lyn
2 Reviews

My heart pounded loudly in my chest and it's a wonder I could hear it over the excessive thudding of my feet on the pavement. Thud, thump, thud, thump. My breathing was heavy and the wind blew against me as I ran down the sidewalk. Thud, thump, thud, thump. I could feel sweat drip down my face as I looked back to see if I had been followed. By what? That, I couldn't tell you.

What I saw behind me is now blurry in my mind. I honestly can't even tell you why I was running. I continued running anyway because what I saw scared me half to death. And somehow, I knew that if it caught me I would be all-the-way dead. So, quickly whipping my head back around, I took off faster than I was originally going. I knew I wouldn't be able to last for long, so I prayed this would get me out of the woods.

I turned a sharp corner onto my street and hoped it wouldn't follow me. I still had a few blocks to run, so if it had followed I wouldn't make it. Fortunately, it seemed to leave me be after making the turn. That didn't stop me from running as far as my legs could carry me, though.

Once I could see my house in the distance, I kind of collapsed. I fell to my knees on the sidewalk and silently thought about how Ethan would freak out about me ripping up my new jeans. I shook my head to clear my mind and focused on my breathing. Breathing is the key to running, my track instructor had told us. If we breathe too hard, we'll run out of breath. And I had been breathing too hard. In my defense, I wasn't prepared for a midnight chase. I suddenly pull my arm up to my face to check the time, realizing too late that I had left the watch in my room. I silently curse my bad luck and stand up to begin the hike back home.

The only thing I thought about the whole trip back was about the time. If it was too late, I would surely be grounded. But if I could sneak in through the window I might be able to play it off like I had slept all night, instead of taking a nightly jog.

Standing on the front porch is when I hesitate to open the front door. I held the key tightly in my grasp and yet I still wanted to try to sneak in through my bedroom window. When I get down off the porch I find that the window was closed. That meant that Ethan was awake and knew I was missing. I sighed as I stepped back up onto the front porch. I tried to slip the key into the lock only to find that the door was unlocked. I took a deep breath and stepped into the living room."

"That's when I bombarded you with questions, huh?" Ethan sat on the other side of the kitchen table, facing Maddie. He looked annoyed, but also worried.

"Yep," Maddie replied, taking another sip of her hot tea. They had been up almost all night, chatting about what had happened that evening. Luckily, Maddie couldn't remember what had chased her so we were in the clear.

I turn away from the screen displaying them and look at one of my employees. "And why did you start chasing her in the first place?" I ask cooly, not really caring. I had to tell Boss about it though, so I needed the information.

"She, uh, dropped her bracelet..." the shadow replies. I roll my eyes.

"You're too kind for your own good, you know that?"

He laughs and responds with, "Yes, ma'am, I do."

"Alright," I say turning back to keep an eye on the kids in case Maddie somehow begins to remember. "You may leave," I tell my friend.

"Cool, thanks!"

I sigh and shake my head, wondering how my life came to this.

Author Notes: ooh~ mysteryyy
anyway, hope you enjoyed- blah blah blah- have a great day!

Recommend Reviews (2) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
-Lynnyan-
Lyn
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
18 May, 2021
Words
680
Read Time
3 mins
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
3.0 (2 reviews)
Views
853

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.