Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Insane Survival Stories: Steven Callahan
Insane Survival Stories:  Steven Callahan

Insane Survival Stories: Steven Callahan

Kat_DickensKat Dickens
1 Review

Steven (born 1952) is an American author, naval architect, inventor, and sailor. And in 1981, he survived 76 days adrift on the Atlantic Ocean in a liferaft.

After he had a successful trip across the Atlantic solo in his 21.33 feet sloop. Steven started his trip home in January of 1981. And while on the trip home his boat was surrounded by a storm one evening, but this didn't worry him. However a hole a whale or shark had put into his boat's hull that had happened in the middle of the night, that did worry him.

And as the boat sank, Steven repeatedly made trips back into the sinking trip, to grab survival gear. And once he had enough food and water to last him for days, he climbed into his 6-foot circular raft. (at this moment he was adrift, 800 miles West of the Canaries and heading farther from them at every moment.)

While he was stranded he fished with a spear gun and collected water with a solar still. And on his 14th day adrift he signaled to a passing ship, but it just kept going.

After a month adrift he drifted out of the shipping lanes. And by day 50 he was covered by sores from the saltwater, was struggling with dehydration from the tropical waters, and trying to patch a hole in his raft.

Steven was exhausted and lost 1/3 of his body weight when he finally spotted some fishermen off the coast of Guadeloupe as birds and fish circled his raft, foraging the fish guts he tossed back into the sea.

This was the end of his 76 days lost at sea.

Author Notes: Please rate, and tell me what you think, I hope you like it.

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Kat_Dickens
Kat Dickens
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
14 Sep, 2020
Words
269
Read Time
1 min
Rating
3.0 (1 review)
Views
831

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.