Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Mysteries in New Berlin (Part Two)

Mysteries in New Berlin (Part Two)

By reggie_1552

The yard was cleared after Brother and I finished our chores. We normally gathered the chicken eggs. And milk the cows. And milk the goats. But since we woke up too late we missed the timing.

The yard was full of dead grass in the middle of fall. I know we are in New Berlin,.Wisconsin. I don't know what month it is but I'm guessing it is roughly around September. The leaves have changed color. Most have fallen to the ground, but so.e still cling on to their life. In the yard was a post. In the post was a hole big enough to slide thick rope through. In that hole was rope. Tied to the rope was Brother.

Brother looked unafraid but a little scared. I was terrified. Master came up the hill with a long stick in his hand. He was whipping it back and forth. The stick wasn't a stick. It was a switch.

I have a thought in my mind. Should I say? If I do,.will.it.make a difference? "I want a name," I say. "I don't want to be called 'Sister.' I want to be called something...cool," I take a breath..It sounds naïve, I know. But I need.to speak my mind before my brother dies.

Master ignores my comment. He beats Brother. I see his skin tear. I see the blood run down. I see the scars. hat will form. I see the blood stains on his back. I start cying. My crying doesn't anything but I can't help it. It turns into sobbing. That turns into wailing.

Master stops whipping Brother."If I allow you to choose your name will you stop screaming," He makea it very clear I am an annoyance. I am a distraction.

I nod and take deep breaths as he goes back to killing Brother. I already know what I want to be named. I don't know if it is an actual name or not but I like it. I am twenty feet away feom Brother but I know he is doing alright.

"Fifty-nine, sixty," Master finally finished. I run over to Brother and give him a big kiss on the cheek.

"What do you want to be named," I ask Brother in a rush.

He takes a minute to think about it. I don't think he needed to think. I think he was deciding whether or not it was stupid. "Lawrence," he says firmly. I know I will call him Laurie. "What about you, Sis? What do you want to be called?"

Without a second of hesitation I answer him. "Raelyn."

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
reggie_1552
reggie_1552
About This Story
Audience
12+
Posted
14 Apr, 2022
Words
441
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
411

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.