Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Mysteries in New Berlin

Mysteries in New Berlin

By reggie_1552

I looked at Brother. He was asleep on his stomach. Somehow he looked younger than just a twelve-year-old. He was snoring softly. I don't how he was breathing. I have never been able to sleep on my stomach. I heard footsteps walking up to the door. Heavy footsteps. I threw the blanket that Brother and I shared over my head. It was easier to pretend to sleep that way. Even if it was hard to breathe. The footsteps stopped in front of the door.

I know it is Master. Master and Brother are the only people I know. I don't think that's normal for a sixteen-year-old. The footsteps went away. It was around eight in the morning. I shook Brother awake.

He moaned and watted his hands around his face. "Brother, it's time to wake up," I say.

Brother moans again. I shake him again. "You need to get up," I demand.

Brother opens his hazel eyes. "Okay. Is this better," he asks.

"Very," I smile.

Brother closes his eyes again. I slap his head. His hand reaches for where I slapped him. "Get up," I order.

I slipped out of the tiny bed. As I slip out of my night gown and into worn overalls and a bright red t-shirt I think about the names we gave each other. We came here around ten years ago. We were brain washed from our past life. We had no idea what our names were. We named each other Brother and Sister. He's Brother, I'm Sister. Sadness sweeps over me so I look at Brother longingly.

He's still in bed. I really didn't want it to come to this but it had to. I grabbed the edge of the blankets and rip them off his body. Brother is already dressed. He is wearing his worn jeans and a fleece sweatshirt. He even has his work boots on.

I sigh. "Brother, what did I tell you about doing this? Master will beat you. I bet it will be sixty lashes this time," I scold him.

He throws his hands up, still lying in bed. "Sister, it isn't my fault I know how to have fun," he defends himself effortlessly.

Someone knocks on our door. We both know it is Master but we jump. Me onto the bed. Brother off the bed. "Come in," I say.

The door opens before I could finish talking. Master is a muscular man that stalks over most people. He has intense blue eyes and hair black as a raven. "Breakfast will be in five minutes," his scary voice says.

Brother and I nod. Master closes the door. I don't know why he closed the door for we are going to leave the room anyway.

Breakfast was grilled chicken, bacon, and a glass of milk. "Brother, were you out working last night," Master asks the thing I didn't want to come out of his mouth.

"Yes," Brother says after a second of hesitation.

I hold my breath. Though I didn't need to try to hold my breath since I already couldn't breathe.

Master takes in a breath. "I don't want you to wear yourselves out by working at night unless I tell you to do so," Master's voice was stern. It became more stern. "You will be punished after your daily work. Sixty lashings."

I can't hear myself scream.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
reggie_1552
reggie_1552
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
7 Apr, 2022
Words
560
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
414

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.