Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Painted Skies: John "Midnight" McDonald Music Legacy
Painted Skies: John "Midnight" McDonald Music Legacy

Painted Skies: John "Midnight" McDonald Music Legacy

AaronTheRockerAaronTheRocker

John "Midnight" joined heavy metal band Crimson Glory in the early 1980s. It was at their debut album in the year 1986 that RoadRunner Records released the self-titled album and Midnight gained recognition as to his vocal talent being compared to greats such as Geoff Tate of Queensryche for his "ear-shattering screams" and "painful, raw, emotional voice". Later Crimson Glory signed with MCA also and had a joint colaboration with record studios and released their second album, Transcendence in 1988.

In 1991, Crimson Glory had a change in "sound". Still being a Progressive Metal band, they went for a lighter sound. Midnight being able to do low and high pitched notes, he was also astounding to do light sounds that were airy and free. The third album Strange and Beautiful was a success for Atlantic Records whom they signed to in 1990.

It was after the third album release Midnight left the band as others did also. He began to work with other acts such as Jon Oliva, Monstrosity and Genius, then eventually went solo. In his solo performance he had a master tape that had all his works on, but during his trip from Florida to Texas, he lost the only tape he had and had to do a reappearance for a low-budget EP (Early Press) album for his full-length album, which took an acoustical direction with his music, Songs From The Attic in 1993, but then was renamed as M with only 500 copies made.

In 2004, Midnight joined forces with Black Lotus Records and produced the album Sakada.

In 2007, John then did a short tour in Europe for his album Sakada with musicians such as Matt LaPorte who was the guitarist for Savatage and Lee Harrison who drummed for Monstrosity and Obituary. Midnight and them recorded the tour in addition to his album orchestrated disc All Souls Midnight, material for a 20-song covers titled as Covers, a 36 song set of original songs titled M2 - Descending into Madness, and a 24-clip disc documenting the last recordings called A Strange Tea Party, which is still and may always remain to be unreleased.
In 2008, Midnight joined forces with Jon Oliva to re-record Midnight's song "Painted Skies" from the second album with Crimson Glory, Transcendence and to write a whole new album with John. A medical tragedy struck though in the development of the new album All Souls Midnight in mid 2009 and he never did complete the album.

In July of 2009, John Midnight was transported to the hospital for serious convulsions in his torso. Being admitted into St. Petersburg Hospital in Florida, he then later suffered a stomach aneurysm and passed away at the age of 47.

A public memorial service was held at Siesta Public Beach. Trees can be planted in memory of John Patrick "Midnight" McDonald in the area.

Brought onto Earth: April 29, 1962
Passage to Heaven: July 8, 2009


Awards, Medals, Recognitions

In memory of Midnight, Crimson Glory played a tribute show.

A website dedicated to him, AllSoulsMidnight.com


John "Midnight" McDonald quote

"Believe in all your dreams and reach for the sky."

Author Notes: R.I.P to a vocal powerhouse legend.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
AaronTheRocker
AaronTheRocker
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
23 Jan, 2021
Words
505
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
919

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.