Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Something Interesting
Something Interesting

Something Interesting

-Lynnyan-Lyn
2 Reviews

It was dark and dreary that day. Nothing too interesting happened that day. Maybe I missed it because every day after it, something interesting would always happen. Maybe thinking over that day will help me pick out what had happened.

The rain began to dribble down from the clouds as I sat by the window in my chair. I have been told that rain had always soothed me, even as a child, and the hot chocolate I held made sleep all the more enticing. I stared out at the grassy scenery as the pitter-patter of the droplets echoed in my mind. I felt myself begin to sway back and forth to the music that was playing behind me. Laughter could be heard as one of my classmates began to breakdance on the make-shift dance floor they had pulled together last minute. One of the girls made a flirtatious noise at him, but I turned my attention back to the rain.

I can't believe I had let them have our annual "school's over for summer" bash at my parents' house. They would be home in a few days and I would have to clean up whatever mess my friends made. I sighed at the thought and took another sip of my cocoa. I hoped they would help clean up, but I doubted they would actually put in the effort. Just as I was about to drown out the thought of having to tidy up by myself with more chocolate, I hear the faint sound of the doorbell.

I stood and began my journey towards the door. Through the hallway leading to the party room, down the stairs, past all the bedrooms, around the corner, and into the main hall. The large door creaked as I opened it wide. To my surprise, a little girl was standing there on the porch. Now that I think about it, she hadn't a drop of water on her skin, either. She smiled warmly up at me and began speaking.

"Hello, miss!" she said with a lightness I hadn't seen in anyone for a while. "I'm selling girl scout cookies! Would you like some?"

"Well, sure," I respond quizzically, "but where are they?" I scanned the porch for any sign of those famous cookies that were usually dragged behind little girls in a wagon.

She pointed behind herself without looking back and said, "I had to leave them under your side canopy to keep them from getting wet." She then let her arm fall to her side and smiled at me again.

"Oh," I said because I had nothing better to. The rain began to come down harder, so I asked if she would like to step inside until I had made my purchase.

The door slowly shut behind the little girl as she took out a pen and paper from a small bag she had hanging from her shoulder. "Now," she said, "what kind of cookies would you like?"

After I had ordered a busload of cookies for the party, the little girl tucked the paper under her arm and raced out the door and around the house to get the cookies. I stood in the doorway for a few moments, waiting for her to return.

Soon, she was back with a handful of boxes. "Here you are, ma'am!" she said politely. This time she was wet and panting.

"I'm sorry, I left my purse upstairs. Here, I'll go get it," I said, turning around. The girl grabbed my arm to keep from leaving, though.

"You can't leave me here," she pleaded with me. "I can't be alone in a stranger's house."

"Why don't you come with me then," I suggested.

"Uh, yeah, okay," she said, sounding rather nervous.

I then lead the girl up to the party room, where everyone was now eating pizza and watching a movie. I can't remember what movie it was, though. I found my purse on the kitchen island, where many other purses had been dropped.

I dug through it for a moment, but a flash of green made my head shoot up. "What was that?" I asked, feeling uneasy.

"Probably just lightning," the girl reassured me.

"But it was green-" I begin to say when a loud burst of thunder makes me stop and turn my head sharply towards the window. The echo of it subsides and I say, "You're probably right," I told her, going back to digging. I finally found my stash of cash and give the little girl twenty bucks.

She smiled widely and says, "Thank you for your support, miss!" She then peeked around me to look at the screen that was playing a movie. I turned around to look at it as well but I didn't find it very interesting.

"Alright," I say and she looks back up at me. "Where do you live, I might be able to drive you home."

She informs me that she doesn't live very far from here, just a few blocks down the street. "I can walk back home, but thank you for the offer," she says.

"No, I insist. I can't have you getting lost or freezing to death out there."

"Oh, thank you, miss!" the girl exclaimed. She jumped up and down a few times and I smiled in spite of myself.

"Alright, c'mon then. We should get going." I place the boxes on the counter and call to the others, "Cookies!" They see where they were and gave me a thumbs-up. "I'm going out, I'll be back soon. Nobody leaves until this place is spotless, got me?" With that, I lead the little girl back down into the main hall. I grabbed my coat from off of its hook and we then turned towards the garage to make our exit.

Not much happened when I dropped her off at her home. She hopped out, waved goodbye, and then made her way up the crooked path toward the porch. I watched until she had disappeared into the house. Then, I drove away as the rain steadily beat down harder on my little car.

I stepped back into my house to find that everything had been cleaned up. I threw my coat on the hook and made my way back up the stairs, gaping at how tidy it now looked. Even the party room had been touched up to make it look a bit nicer. I was so happy, I didn't go back to staring at the rain with my hot cocoa. No, I flushed that down the drain. It had gotten cold, anyway. Instead, I sat by my friends on the sofa and watched the movie that was almost over.

I must've fallen asleep during the movie because when I woke up, everyone was gone. The doorbell had awoken me and I had rushed downstairs to let my parents back inside. They embraced me and began chatting about their trip to France.

I smiled and listened as my mother told of the jewelry and fine clothing there that she hadn't had the money to buy. I laughed when my father told of how he had slipped and fallen into a puddle on the street while his eyes were locked on a musician as he played a nice song. I had no idea what would happen in just a few moments. Or the day afterward.

And for some reason, I still can't quite figure out why everything that had happened over the past week had happened. Perhaps it had something to do with that girl. I don't know. The one thing I do know is that I won't be able to dwell on the past much longer. Tomorrow will be here soon, and with it comes a new interesting something. Whatever that may be.

Author Notes: Yeah, good luck figuring this one out. I don't actually know myself, so let me know what you find.
I hope you enjoyed the story. And I hope you have a fantabulous day!

Recommend Reviews (2) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
-Lynnyan-
Lyn
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
6 Apr, 2021
Words
1,298
Read Time
6 mins
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
3.0 (2 reviews)
Views
689

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.