Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Legend of Hatten House
The Legend of Hatten House

The Legend of Hatten House

skgriffieskgriffie
1 Review

Abbey stood at the door, not sure if she made the right choice in taking this job. Leaving a secure job of ten years was not an easy choice for her. Not only did she leave her job, but she left her friends as well. A new life with a different career is what she needed after losing her last hospice client, but living here might not have been the best choice.

She finally knocked on the door and took a step back as it opened. Mr. Jacobs stood in front of her with a smile on his face, and in his deep southern voice said, "well, Miss Abbey welcome to Hatten House please come in. My family and I are very happy you're going to work for us." Abbey smiled back shyly as she entered the house. "Thank you, Mr. Jacobs," she said, "I'm very happy to be here."

Abbey was hired to list everything in the home, along with pictures for the upcoming auction. She had six months to get it done. Starting to feel a little uneasy since she saw the house for the first time, she turned to Mr. Jacobs and asked: "When will Mrs. Hardy be arriving?" Mr. Jacobs walked to a chair and said "I'm afraid Mrs. Hardy won't be joining you. She had a family emergency and won't be back with us."

The house seemed to grow even larger after hearing that she would be alone in it for six months. It was a huge Victorian home that had been in the family for over two hundred years.

She was not sure she could handle living here, without the housekeeper. Mr. Jacobs sat down on a floral winged back chair and motioned for Abbey to have a seat on the matching davenport. Abbey pushed her long dark hair behind her ears, a habit she had when she was nervous, and sat down.

"All of the rooms on the second and third floors are locked, so you'll need these keys to get into them. There is one room on the third floor that I don't have a key for, which really doesn't matter because it's empty; you won't have to go in there for any reason" he said as he handed her the keys.

"I'll be back in a few days to check on how you're getting along. The kitchen is stocked and all the materials you will need are in the office. Feel free to call me if you have any problems." He said as he stood up and started walking toward the door. "Do you have any questions for me before I leave?" Abbey said, "no I don't have any at this time." As she followed him to the door. "But thank you again for giving me the job." As he walked onto the porch he said to her "Miss Abbey, please don't go outside after dark."

Abbey was shaking as she watched him drive down the lane. The night was coming.

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
skgriffie
skgriffie
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
25 Sep, 2016
Words
500
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
2.0 (1 review)
Views
2,941

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.