Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Price Of A Glass Of Milk
The Price Of A Glass Of Milk

The Price Of A Glass Of Milk

AquariusAquarius
1 Review

A boy from a deprived background was determined to get an education. He hoped that this would later enable him to find some well paid work to get himself and his family out of the poverty trap, into which his parents through a succession of unfortunate circumstances had fallen. To help him pay his way through school, in his free moments he went from door to door selling things. One day he had only one small coin in his pocket and was so hungry that he decided to ask for something to eat at the next house.

The nameplate on the door told him nothing about its occupants, the way it sometimes did intuitively. There was nothing for it but knocking and trying his luck. But when the door was opened by an attractive young woman, he lost his nerve and only asked for a drink of water. Noticing the hungry look on the boy’s face, the lady brought him a large glass of milk, which he drank very slowly. With an embarrassed smile he pulled the coin from his pocket and said: ‘I’d love to pay you, but this is all I’ve got.’

‘You don’t owe me anything,’ the woman replied. ‘When I was a child my mother taught me never to accept pay for any food or drink offered to someone, but to consider it as an act of kindness for which no money should be accepted.’ Thanking her from the bottom of his heart, the boy went on his way. His name was Howard Kelly. Before getting the milk, he had been ready to give up and quit. But somehow the encounter had made him feel stronger physically and his faith in the basic goodness of humankind’s nature had been somewhat restored.

The boy’s parents no longer believed in God and so he had never been taught to pray. But that morning he had been so hungry that in desperation he put his hands together, the way he had seen other people do when they were praying, and murmured: ‘If there’s someone out there, please help me.’ That’s all he said and the result showed that the Angels and Masters around the throne of God, the Christ Circle, and their helpers on the lower level of the spirit realms are constantly observing us. That’s why no prayer ever goes unheard. It’s just that sometimes for karmic reasons and also to keep us from erring too far from our self-chosen predestined pathway, the answer has to be: ‘No!’ However, this does not happen when someone truly needs help and asks for it. Prayer creates a special vibration that sends a signal to the Angels and their helpers that the time has come to draw closer to the distressed person and support them as best as the situation and their Karma allows.

Many years after this took place, the woman became critically ill. Her local team of doctors was so baffled by her condition that in the end they advised her to consult a specialist. His name was Howard Kelly and he discovered that the woman was suffering from a rare disease. Upon hearing her name a light of recognition flashed through his mind that made him decide to do everything he could to save her life. So she received an extra high degree of care and attention, and after struggling with her condition for a long time, she made a full recovery.

When Dr. Kelly requested that the final invoice for this patient’s treatment should be presented to him for approval, he took one look at it, wrote something on the edge and then sent it to the woman’s room. Afraid that it might take the rest of her present lifetime to pay for the treatment she had received, the woman hesitated to open the envelope. When she eventually she plucked up sufficient courage to do so, to her astonishment and delight she saw that Dr. Kelly had written on the invoice:

Paid in full with one glass of milk.
Dr. Howard Kelly

Tears of joy and gratitude came to the woman’s eyes and with all her heart and soul she prayed: ‘Thank You, Great Father/Mother of all life, for your kindness, love and generosity revealing itself through human hearts and hands.’

Each act of kindness and every bit of love we give to someone casts some bread onto the waters of life. Because of the Universal law of cause and effect or Karma, like everything else we think, say or do, in the fullness of time our kindness returns to us. This does not usually happen through the people we gave it to, the way it did in our story. But return it unfailingly does, frequently it comes in the form of help when we are in need of it. Suddenly it is there and to our amazement hands are reaching out to us, from unexpected people and places.

Created by Anon.
Edited by Aquarius

* * *
 

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Aquarius
Aquarius
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
24 Aug, 2020
Words
835
Read Time
4 mins
Rating
3.0 (1 review)
Views
800

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.