Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Rebellious Guardian of the Republic of Gilead

The Rebellious Guardian of the Republic of Gilead

By EnglishCT7593 - 1 Review

During a period of economic hardship in the early establishment of the Republic of Gilead, a young man in his 30s sought a job to support his family in Massachusetts. During his job-seeking process, he was offered a position as a Guardian by an interviewer. Currently unemployed and going by the name Michael Brook, he originally lived in his family house with his parents and brothers in Oregon. Before then, he was self-employed to maintain his family business passed down from his grandparents' generation. Without any notice, the sudden economic downturn in the United States dragged his prospering family business under. With heavy debts ensuing his business’ bankruptcy, he set out searching for low-skill and high-paying jobs across multiple countries. In his desperation, he received a job offered to be a “Guardian” by a family friend far away in Massachusetts. So, he left his family business in Oregon to chase a far-fetch hope in the promising land.
With a plan in mind, he mustered every last of his pennies to buy a plane ticket with little reserved for the bus fee. Upon his arrival in Massachusetts, he was greeted by what he assumed to be the military stationed at the airport for unknown security purposes. He passed the background checks and took a bus ride to his family friend's house. There he was informed of what to say in the interview and told to mention that he was recommended by a fellow Guardian. The next day, he departed for the agreed location for an official meeting with the hiring officials. As planned, he maneuvered through their questions with much ease. A few days afterward, he received a call noticing his acceptance for the job.
Throughout the whole application process, he was never given any real detailed description of his job besides pledging his allegiance to the Republic of Gilead and following the Commander’s order unconditionally, which immediately raised some red flags. He thought “Who is this Commander? What is the so-called republic of Gilead? Aren’t we in America?”
Nevertheless, his suspicion proved right as he continue to encounter many peculiar and unnerving occurrences happening around his assigned Commander’s mansion. There were multiple occasions when he saw handmaids with newly inflicted wounds and amputations limping about when they were visibly fine the other day. There was also that one time when he was made to stand guard behind the master’s bedroom where the ceremony took place. But for the majority of the time, he decided to turn a blind eye in fear of losing his only source of income.
While running an errand with his partner, one day, he happened to pass by a group of men in black suits forcefully removing a Handmaid into a black minivan. He asked his partner to help him save the woman, to which he refused and continuously convince him to ignore it. Not being able to stand the woman cried for help, he ran off to intervene. At the scene, he got blocked by two men in suits who insisted that he mind his own business. He ignored their warning and pushed his way through. But unfortunately, he was outmatched and eventually got tasered. In his fading moments, he felt himself being dragged along the rough asphalt road into the cold metallic floor of the van. Next to him, the woman weeping and cooping up in the corner. When he woke up, he was confronted by his hiring manager who negatively criticized his interference as an act of obstruction of government officials. Amid all this, he felt worried for the woman, who the manager insisted had only been removed to the "Colonies". After many rounds of reprimand, he was let off with a slight warning. Disappointed to know that his company deliberately ignored and even endorsed the anonymous group’s illegal activity, he quit the company the next day and moved back to his home in Oregon. He felt as he was aboard the airplane back, not knowing that the republic of Gilead had already successfully spread its roots through all corners of the United States just a month after he left his home.
 

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
EnglishCT7593
EnglishCT7593
About This Story
Audience
18+
Posted
28 Mar, 2022
Words
689
Read Time
3 mins
Rating
4.0 (1 review)
Views
484

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.