Please register or login to continue

Register Login

When War Came to Town
When War Came to Town

When War Came to Town

Kat_DickensKat Dickens

We thought the war was miles away, part of another world, not right next door.

There was no warning before the war seized my little village, and shattered my life.

The day started too wonderful, to ever guess that later it would be a day full of suffering, violence, and death. So sunny, bright, and cheerful that I skipped down the old dirt path leading to the well outside of our village. I skipped despite the weight of the heavy water bucket weighing down my shoulders. I was truly happy.

As I made my way down the dirt path, that is when I heard the first shot. My mind raced trying to think of an explanation to explain it. Because all of the guns in my village were rusted through. I was still puzzled over it when I heard another, and another, and another! Until the air was full of shots, and ear piercing screams that seemed to go on forever. Over the shouts of panicked people, I could hear crying. I stood stock still in shock. What is happening? The war is supposed to be on the other side of the country, right?

I was still standing there like a deer caught in headlights, when the building behind me blew up. It went up in flames, like a freshly lit match. That snapped me out of it and got me moving.

Then I ran. Away from the hurt. Away from the suffering. Away from the dying. Away from the dead.

Away from the war.

I ran away from the only home I had ever known, that the war just destroyed, into the thicket of uncertainty.

Author Notes: Please rate and tell me what you think. Hope you like it!

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Kat_Dickens
Kat Dickens
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
15 May, 2020
Words
276
Read Time
1 min
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
557

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.